Next Up For Review

Next Up For Review
The Center Cannot Hold, Elyn Saks

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Lunch Bunch


Yesterday, I was ready to give up being a reviewer. Then something happened on the way to the delete button...

Looking for something short, sweet, and inexpensive (but worth every penny) to read? I would highly encourage you to pick up a copy of :
Lunch Reads, Volume 1, from 
Istoria Books.
Description:
VOLUME 1
In this first edition of short stories offered by Istoria Books (eBooks You Want to Read at Prices You Want to Pay ™), readers can devour two tasty and satisfying tales of suspense and cozy mystery. Jenny Milchman and Libby Sternberg take readers on domestic journeys where the prosaic turns into the perplexing, creating everyday dramas that aren’t easily resolved.

Get on the Istoria Books mailing list to learn of upcoming books and limited-time-only discounts: www.IstoriaBooks.com

_____

In this volume:

THE VERY OLD MAN…by Jenny Milchman
A chance encounter in a grocery store spooks a young mother. When small accidents begin to happen around her young child, she wonders if the old man who'd given her daughter a quarter is to blame.

ESCAPE FROM SOUTHERN POINT…by Libby Sternberg
At small town on the Outer Banks, a loving groom fails to show up on his wedding day. As family and friends try to locate him and explain his absence, the bride's aunt draws on town gossip to figure out where he's gone, unintentionally mimicking the Jessica-Fletcher-like character her sister actress plays on TV.


My thoughts:
Cover: A I love the look of this book cover. Reminiscent of a 1950's lunch counter in color, design, even the lettering! The cover designer for Istoria Books got this one right. Yay for simplicity! Yay for cool color schemes! Double thumbs up, guys (or gals as the case may be).


Story: A+/A  Wow! These ladies are really overachievers! Both stories earned solid A's. I gave The Very Old Man, By Jenny Milchman an A+. The story has an intense suspense level that's tough to build in a short. Ms. Milchman created the edge of your seat thriller, and it is perfect. I loved it. In fact, I wish I'd written it. Drat!
Escape From Southern Point, by Libby Sternberg also earned an A. A very solid, not even close to a B, A. This story is a sweet mystery. Humorous from the first word. Very entertaining. I loved it as well. 


Overall A This book is one of the very best reads I've had the dubious honor to review in awhile. The package, from stem to stern, is perfect. Worth every penny (only 99 of them? I would consider paying more for this dynamic duo). An overall AWESOME read.
Congrats Istoria Books. Congrats Ms. Milchman & Ms. Sternberg. You have hit on a winning combination. 
You can pick up your copy of Lunch Reads, Volume 1, at Amazon.com (and I suggest you do...soon).


Cheers!
 


 

2 comments:

  1. Crud Buckets! I forgot to mention that I need one more short for the Elsie Love website for June. Get over there, check it out, and send me something!!! This might be the last month I post author highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elsie, wow--you have made my whole day--thank you so much for reading The Very Old Man (and I agree--Libby Sternberg's short is a gem). I am so glad you won't give up on reviewing--we need people like you, willing to give new authors and presses a read. Thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete