Next Up For Review

Next Up For Review
The Center Cannot Hold, Elyn Saks

Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Lost Post

Thanks Blogger, for doing whatever 'maintenance' you felt was necessary. Because of your fastidiousness, I lost my post from this week.
T.G. I cross post my reviews on Good Reads, Amazon.com & Shelfari. Now for a little maintenance of my own, with the magic of cut & paste.
My apologies to Ms. Dickinson, who's review was up, then down, and now up again. Arghhh. Maddening.

1. Painted in a Corner by Autumn Dickinson

 Typically, I avoid spoilers at all costs; but for the purpose of accurately rating this book, I feel I must include some.
I read the book rather quickly and enjoyed it. The plot, especially the surprise ending (almost a double surprise. There is a big BANG! but wait...there's more...) took some twists and turns that I could not predict. I hate knowing everything before it happens. Not good when that happens. This book will throw you a curve ball or two.

It did have some editing issues: i.e. using the wrong words- past where it should have read passed. Also, a couple of scenes had some minor head hopping issues. Not enough to make you dizzy, but if you are a stickler on that issue you will see it.
I also thought Bianca was an enigma wrapped in a riddle. One minute she's complaining up a storm about how awful her brother/sister are (typical YA behavior)and the next she's saying things like "My brother maintained his youthful good looks" He's 25...he never lost them! LOL

(Here come the spoilers)

This book has some girl on girl throw in a boy action in it. I'm not a prude; however the premise for that material in this story didn't ring true for me. I thought it was just some spice for spice sake. It was well written; but I had a tough time taking the relationship between Bianca & her female experimental springboard the way the author intended. 

Again, I apologize. This review was longer and graded (at a B- read). When I lost the post, I lost the added material. I can tell you that it is an interesting read that I felt would be most appealing to women between the ages of 17-25. Right now you can pick up a copy for your kindle on Amazon.com for $0.99.
Right price for an interesting read.


2. My debut @ Inspired Quill
My first attempt at writing something with less snark & circumstance has hit the web. I loved it when I wrote it. Now that it's in print...eh...not so sure.
Stop by & judge for yourself:
Elsie Love's Fiction 
While you're there, leave a note. Thanks for your support blogger fans; you guys are the best!
Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. What the Lemony Snickett is going on with Blogger?!?! Posts are up, then they're lost, then they're up again? Arghhh. Somebody do something before I lose my ever loving mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I like the post even if you don't. -Chuckles- You make a few really good points.

    Also, the amount of people who've been saying Blogger sucks recently has made me /very/ pleased that I used Wordpress for IQ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Wordpress...very professional.
    You know how it is. You write something, you think it's the best thing ever. You wait a bit, re-read and (gasp)fell it is no good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the feeling very well..it's why I stopped trying to write fiction. -Chuckles-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked your review...gave me a chuckle.
    I found you on Book Blogs (Indy Book Bloggers) and am now your newest follower. I would love for you to visit me and consider following my review and/or Interview blog. Both blogs are linked. :)
    Laurie
    http://Lauriethoughts-reviews.blogspot.com
    http://lauriesinterviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw you were listed in the literary blog directory, and I thought I’d share with you a blog hop I find fun, the Literary Blog Hop. This week’s prompt is to tell about your favorite literary device. Here’s my attempt to pick my favorite literary device.

    Also, I’d like to invite you to throw your name into the hat for a $25 Amazon gift certificate in Readerbuzz’s July Giveaway! It’s international!

    I hope you will stop by. I always follow back.

    ReplyDelete