Next Up For Review

Next Up For Review
The Center Cannot Hold, Elyn Saks

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Deliver Me From This Book, My Daily Bread...

Book review day.

1.  Delivered with Love
This is tough. I'm tackling a piece of Christian fiction. Those of you that know me personally, know I have a few unresolved issues with organized religion. You should also know that as much as I can't stand elitism (which I feel most religious groups propagate under the umbrella of what 'God wants') I am a fair reviewer.
In other words, I won't prejudge a book by it's genre. Cross my heart & hope to have a fat slice of cherry pie, with whip cream, please. So, when I picked up Delivered With Love by Sherry Kyle last week for my kindle, I set aside any & all preconceived notions about the Christian fiction genre and stuck it at the top of my reading list.
I'm sad to report, the book did nothing for me.
The premise is that a young woman named Claire, who is in her early twenties & just lost her mother, is starting her life over. Sounds intriguing, right? It would be, if the plot had any real conflict. Everywhere this woman turns people love her, help her, & share with her the good word of the LORD. No matter what kind of a bind she's in, nobody gets mad. No matter how unscrupulous other characters might be, it's all solved in less than a day, thanks to a quick little prayer. And (ironically) the only time any of the characters step foot in a church is at the end...for a wedding. Hmmm.

I know it sounds as if I'm judging it for having a message from above, but I swear on a stack of Holy Bibles (and whatever other books you want to throw in there) I'm not. It just lacked pizazz. It also really lacked a plausible story line.

I will say this: If you are a Christian fiction fan and you have a twelve year old daughter...give it to her. Don't hesitate. It is exactly the 1950's type of romance you will want her to read. But, if you've ever had any real trials & tribulations, this book won't cut it. I give it two stars.  


2.   And now for something completely different...
I want to share another review with you. It isn't a book, but if you use it, it will change your life (and the shape of your derriere). I'm so happy & exhausted by this find that I'm mixing it up. Ready or not, here we go.
Her name strikes fear into the heart of couch potatoes across the globe. She is the host of a show called Thintervention, on the Bravo Network
Picture a really ripped Scarlett Johansen taking you through a very painful 30 minute workout and you get the idea. She's hot, she's tough, & her workout video Extreme Timesaver Training will knock you flat on your shrinking ass. It really delivers all that it promises. Cardio & strength in a thirty minute block. It takes your heart rate into an anaerobic zone, which in turn will raise your aerobic threshold (I used to be an aerobics instructor & a personal trainer so I can brandish those terms about with authority).

It's $12.99 on her site & less on Collage Video making it a steal of a deal no matter where you make the purchase. You will hate her now & love her later. Skip Jillian, go for Jackie. You won't regret it. 5+ stars!

That's it for now folks. I'll be back after the Easter holiday (provided God doesn't smote me for my two stars on the CF book).

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Elsie,

    Thanks for signing up as a follower on my blog and commenting. I absolutely love the look of your blog. One of the best I've seen!

    ReplyDelete