Next Up For Review

Next Up For Review
The Center Cannot Hold, Elyn Saks

Monday, October 31, 2011

Miss Butterworth is a Tasty Treat

Oh man, what a week. First, I got an offer to publish my short, POSSESSIONS. Very exciting when you consider I wasn't sure it would ever see the light of day. The offer is for a print anthology. The digital rights have also been snatched up...so it's a win, win. I'm withholding further details until I clear the last of the foggy bits from my brain.
Last week I was 'off'--off from writing that is. The hubby & I took the tiniest minion to our cabin in the Smokies for some much needed floor replacement. It was a full seven days of hell. The highlights are as follows:
  • Hubby fell down the spiral staircase after stubbing his toe. Nothing broken.
  • Tiny minion could easily be home schooled if I were so inclined. He finished every lick of school work with minimal parental guidance. Chalk one up for decent genetics, parenting, or both.
  • Baseboard installation on non-uniform walls nearly killed us. However, our survival instincts are still running strong, much stronger than our broken down, old bodies.
  • I now, once again own a rental home that is far nicer than the house I live in on a daily basis. What can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment.
  • We will never again take on a major renovation without the help of professionally paid contractors. We are too old & life is meant to be enjoyed!
That's it in a nutshell. Now, on to my review.
That Affair Next Door, Anna Katharine Green

  
Returning from a trip abroad, the Van Burnam family enters their New York mansion to find a dead woman on the dining room floor. A curio cabinet has fallen on top of her, crushing her face, and law officers suspect that the victim is the wife of one of the Van Burnam sons. However, the son insists that he does not recognize the victim. How did this woman get into this locked house? Whose are those strange garments she is wearing? What is her hat doing in the closet and a strange, gaudy hat crushed underneath her? Why did the coroner insist that the woman was dead when the curio fell?



This was one of my famous Kindle freebies. Obviously, the cover is the standard, you got it for free so don't complain, cover. No rating required. I just consider it the classic, encyclopedia variety; clean & eyecatching by its own right.
Story: A
I loved this book. Miss Butterworth, the single, older lady with a keen eye for detail, is the perfect behind the radar star. Mr. Gryce, the crotchety old detective you can't help but like, is her perfect partner.
This book is another late 1800's miracle. Change some of the language and you could turn these two into a modern day Tracy/Hepburn. The dry wit has aged like a fine wine; and the mystery...well let's just say this super sleuth was stumped to nearly the end. There were several moments I believed I had figured out the whodunnit, only to quickly discover I was dead wrong. I did finally get it...but only a few pages before the unveiling.
It is absolutely worth it, even if you pay for the paperback. Anna Katharine Green was a lady ahead of her time. I look forward to reading more of her work!

Stay tuned dear readers. On November 3rd I will be reviewing TWO MOONS OF SERA, Pavarti Tyler. 
You won't want to miss it. Ms. Tyler is offering some pretty sweet giveaways...
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment