Next Up For Review

Next Up For Review
The Center Cannot Hold, Elyn Saks

Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year, New Me!

The end of 2011 has officially been kicked to the curb. Can't say I'm sorry to see it go. Not that it was all bad, mind you. There were ups in there, just too many downs to add it to my top ten of 'best years'. 
The end of 2011 found me in a reading rut, stuck midway through "Vanity Fair" with no end in sight. Right around Turkey Day, I made the decision to STOP (as in stop pressuring myself to rush through the book in order to get out my next review). Luckily, I only review for pleasure, so I can make those kinds of executive decisions. Had I been reviewing for other sites--which I have mulled over, quite seriously--I would have been screwed. 
Hooray for being a slacker reviewer!
So, here I sit in the earliest days of 2012, "Vanity Fair" finished, "Scotland by Starlight" half completed, and ready to review again with full Gusto. Let's get to it shall we?

Vanity Fair, William Makepeace Thackery
This book is set to be my last dip into the 1800's for a bit. I read some Austen, some Tolstoy, and Anna Katherine Green--all deliciously good and timeless. I was excited beyond all get out when I picked up "Vanity Fair" and was hooked from page one.
I must admit here the beginning threw me a bit. The language was just a shade more 'Old English'  & it took a chapter or two to find my reading groove; although it is nowhere near as thick & muddlesome as "Wuthering Heights", which I nearly chucked in the garbage on occasion.
I loved the sarcasm Mr. WMT used throughout the book. It was subtle perfection. 
I loved Rebecca. I HATED Rebecca. I loathed Amelia. I placed Amelia on the highest pedestal I could find. I felt this way about all the characters *except* George Osbourne the First. I just plain loathed him. He was a good for nothing cretin. Weak, vain, selfish, without redemption.
I was mad at Amelia for not allowing Major Dobbin into her heart & I was terrified he was gone for good....
I give this book a B++. It would have been an A, except I honestly think there were large amounts (ie. the entire scene where Rebecca is  the star of charades) of the story that could have been cut. Loved it!
As always, you can download "Vanity Fair" for your kindle @ Amazon.com for FREE. 
Up next...
"Scotland by Starlight" by Nancy Volkers.
Until then, learn to love yourself by loathing others in a good book.
Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment